Are you planning to make a visit to Ireland? Then you will more than likely arrive at Dublin Airport. Do you know Dublin Airport celebrated its 80th birthday on January 19th, 2020? Let us have a look peek at some of the airport’s glorious 80 years.
- On January 19th, 1940 an Aer Lingus Lockheed 14 aircraft departed for Liverpool’s Speke Airport at 9am.
- Till date Dublin Airport has welcomed over 580 million passengers since the first commercial flight.
- Development of the airport began in the late 1930s on a terminal building and grass runways at the Collinstown site.
- Desmond FitzGerald was the architect of the new terminal building.
- The original terminal building was designed to accommodate about 100,000 passengers a year.
- On its opening day the airport operations was commenced with a single flight and today it has become an international gateway for the island of Ireland.
- During the Second World War the airport that opened with just one flight a day to Liverpool was suspended. However, Aer Lingus resumed its London services to Croydon in November 1945.
- By 1947, flights that departed from Dublin Airport ventured to Continental Europe, with Dutch airline KLM beginning the first European service to Dublin.
- In the year 1948, concrete runways were completed. And by10 years of operation in the year 1950 the airport was accommodated by a total of 920,000 passengers.
- With the increase in passenger numbers, the original terminal became incapable of handling the crowd; hence, in 1959 the new North Terminal was opened.
- By 1960, new departure gate piers were introduced adjacent to the old terminal for coping with larger aircrafts. However, soon it was discovered that the terminal building was still not enough! So in 1971 a new terminal building was designed for catering to an expected six million passengers per year which was opened in June 1972.
- In the year 2010 Terminal 2 and its connected boarding gate pier were opened which allows the airport to handle more than 30 million passengers per year.
- Today Dublin Airport serves as a hub for travelers destined for Europe, Asia, and North America.
To make your airport transfers in Dublin from the airport hassle-free and relaxing we at LFLCS provide reliable Dublin Airport private transfers. With our online reservation services and secure online payment gateway we have made Dublin airport transfers a stress-free affair.
So if you are in Dublin and looking for professional Dublin Airport private transfers then you can rely upon us without any hesitation. Want to know more about our services? Call us now at +353 86 414 1837. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter as well!